Friday 26 February 2010

Sneak preview of book cover

I thought readers of my News blog might like to have a sneak preview of the cover of For The King's Favor (titled The Time of Singing in the UK) being published in the USA by Sourcebooks in the autumn. I think it suits the subject matter really well. The dark corridor reference part of the story arc, and the novel is about a young mistress of Henry II who bore him a son. The model in the photoshoot was pregnant at the time, so it kind of ties in too.

4 comments:

Passages to the Past said...

It's gorgeous! I really love that dress!

Marg said...

I hadn't realised that the title was being changed for the US. Guess it reflects the tendency to want King, Queen etc to be in the title, but it will take me a little while to get used to it.

Elizabeth Chadwick said...

Marg, we changed it partly because of the trend and partly because the original title was giving readers difficulties with the small words. The title is 'The Time of Singing' but it gets called 'A Time For Singing' 'The Time For Singing' 'A Time of Singing' etc. The title references The Song of Solomon and orchards and gardens, but it's fairly subtle, whereas 'For The King's Favor' is much more in keeping with one of the major themes of the novel. :-) So yes, while I know that historical titles are getting pretty boring with all the King and Queen refs on the front - sometimes even when royalty is barely involved, I think this one works.

Melanie said...

Beautiful cover, which they always are. Loving the new catchy title..